Ontario’s Data and Privateness Commissioner has launched its annual Statistical Report for 2021.
Under is a abstract of the high-level take-aways:
- There have been 137,481 requests for entry to non-public well being info in 2021, a 2.5%
lower from 2020 when 140,950 requests had been acquired.
- Well being establishments accomplished 137,234 requests for entry to non-public well being info in
2021, representing a 30-day compliance price of 92%. This represents a lower of 5% from 2020.
- Well being establishments supplied full entry to non-public well being info for 96% of requests in 2021
- There have been 11,263 breaches of non-public well being info in 2021
- Unauthorized disclosure continues to be a number one explanation for well being privateness breaches
- Misdirected faxes nonetheless account for almost all of unauthorized disclosure breaches within the well being sector, amounting to 4,848 breaches in 2021
IPC Adjudication of Well being Privateness Issues:
- The IPC opened greater than 980 well being privateness recordsdata in 2021, of which 535 associated to privateness breaches:
- 177 associated to misdirected or misplaced private info
- 170 associated to unauthorized assortment, use or disclosure
- 112 associated to snooping
- Cyberattacks had been the reason for 32 breaches reported to the IPC by the well being sector, representing a forty five % enhance over the earlier 12 months.
The total report is offered right here.