Data is now obtainable on the variety of tort trials and jury verdicts in Davidson County, Tennessee for the fiscal yr ending June 30, 2022.
There have been 1883 tort instances filed in Davidson County (not together with well being care legal responsibility act instances) and 41 tort trials. Right here is how that compares with prior years:
Observe that hardly 2% of all filed instances are tried to judgment, a quantity which is mostly in line with previous years. When your consumer asks you “what are the chances my case will go to trial” you possibly can say that, on common 98% of filed instances are resolved (by means of voluntary dismissal, dismissal on movement, or settlement) earlier than a jury verdict or judgment is introduced.
The variety of trials – 41 – tells solely a part of the story, nonetheless. Solely 26 of these trials have been jury trials – the opposite 15 have been tried to the courtroom. The plaintiff made a monetary restoration in 25 of these instances. Observe: the truth that the plaintiff recovered in 60% of the instances doesn’t imply the plaintiff “gained” 60% of the instances. Why? As a result of we have no idea whether or not the plaintiff’s restoration exceeded the pretrial supply. We are able to say that in Davidson County final yr defendants obtained a protection judgment in 40% of the instances that have been tried.
What monies have been recovered by the plaintiff within the 25 instances the place a restoration occurred? We’ve the reply solely in three broad bands of recoveries (lower than $100K, $100K – $999K) and $1,000,000 and over. Listed below are the numbers:
So, as skilled courtroom watchers would anticipate, many of the instances that went to verdict or judgment resulted in an award of beneath $100,000. Solely three resulted in awards over $1,000,000, though no less than a kind of was fairly giant (given the full damages awarded for the yr). The $43.3M awarded in Davidson County represents about 80% of the tort damages awarded in all of Tennessee in 2021-22.
You’ll find details about trials and verdicts in tort instances for each county in Tennessee by visiting the Free Sources at www.birddoglaw.com. Click on on this hyperlink to discover a record of each county within the state, click on on the related county, and go to “Case Statistics.” (Observe: we’re nonetheless inputting the 2021-22 information so some counties can have information solely by means of June 30, 2021. All info will probably be full earlier than Might 1.
Leave a Reply